Top Hacks for Moving House
Monday, 20 February 2017
- Put household items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic tub – e.g. box cutter, paper towels, rubbish bags, tea and coffee, screwdriver, etc. and pack an overnight bag containing personal essentials – toiletries, change of clothes, phone charger etc.
- Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clean clothing/linens. Socks are perfect for glasses and stemware. Pack plates vertically, like files.
- Use a colour-coding system and pack by room – blue labels for kitchen, red for master bedroom etc. Take an extra minute to list clearly the contents of each box and which room it came from – you’ll be so glad you did when unpacking.
- Arrange a pre-clean of your new home before the move, especially the bathrooms and kitchen.
- Use up groceries before move – the less you’ll have to toss. Defrost fridge at least a day before moving and clean.
- Put all open liquids in zip lock bags or unscrew lid, cover with gladwrap, then put lid back on.
- Place cotton pads into cosmetics to keep from spilling or breaking.
- Keep sandwich bags and permanent markers handy for small parts such as curtain rods, keys for furniture, screws for specific items etc.
- Take a photo of how your electronics are connected – makes reconnecting easier!
- The fastest and best way to pack hanging clothes is into a porta-robe.
- Call St. Vincent’s to collect furniture and other items which are in good condition you won’t be using at your new home at least a week or two before moving - Toowoomba 07 4632 9960.
- For parents and dog-owners – arrange babysitter and/or dog-walkers so you can focus on the task at hand!
- Change your address at least a week before moving – Electricity, Phone, Driver’s License, Insurance and redirect mail with Australia Post.